It is not always easy to implement this task, especially if you don’t know where to start, and yet it is essential to do so. In fact, if you achieve optimal industrial storage, the entire warehouse operation will improve, logistics will be smoother and handling will be easier.
Determine the characteristics of each of its references.
Before even beginning to organize the goods or products, it is necessary to classify them as follows:
- Nature: Is it a gaseous, solid or liquid product?
- Packaging: How are the references packaged? Are they placed on a pallet, rack, drum, storage cabinet or barrel?
- Features: What is the size, weight and volume of the goods?
- Environmental conditions: some goods are more sensitive than others to heat, humidity, vibration or light.
These elements give an idea of how to organize the goods in the best possible way. In fact, heavy, unpackaged liquid goods do not require the same storage method as weather-sensitive goods, for example.
Choose a storage solution or system
Once you have determined all the characteristics of the stored references, you can move on to the next step and choose the storage solution according to your needs. It is essential to choose quality storage material that will last long enough for the investment to be profitable.
To this end, the following elements should be taken into account:
- SKU turnover: in fact, if for example your SKUs have a low turnover rate, it would be more appropriate to opt for a storage system such as compact palletizing.
- Its shelf life: dynamic palletizing is usually the most suitable method for companies that store food products.
- The type of warehouse: is it a refrigerated warehouse, a traditional warehouse or a courier?
- Your objectives: whether or not you are thinking of automating your warehouse, compare all the pros and cons of automated storage methods.
In order to choose the right storage solution, it is essential to define all these elements. This will ensure the security and smooth running of the organization.